- What is your story? I was originally an assistant for a year at a top Raleigh salon in 2004, worked for a salon for two years and then moved to Cary, NC. I stayed here and built my clientele. After that I decided I wanted to be an educator and booth rent at another salon. I am constantly working toward something, constantly pushing myself to do new things. I went to MY SALON Suite at Waverly in Cary in 2015, just three months after it opened. As an educator for Wella, I travel 3-4 days a month so choosing my schedule is important to me. I am also able to bring in education to MY SALON Suite members which I love doing. I pride myself on pushing people to learn and push themselves to be their best. I love the teaching aspect because I learn while teaching. I have also done competition work as well. I have loved being with MY SALON Suite so much that I got three stylists to come over and own their own salon suites. I love working with Patti (the franchise partner for MY SALON Suite of Cary). We all support each other!
- Why the beauty business? Honestly, I knew in high school. I had an awesome English teacher and they wanted us to do a book report on a profession where we had to interview people in the industry. I asked myself, “what can I do to make people feel better about themselves?” I got really excited when I talked to hairdressers. It got me excited about becoming one myself and I stuck with it! I graduated high school, then started cosmetology school. Then, in 2011, I started the journey with classes for Wella. And after those classes, I was hooked and wanted to be an educator as well.
- What does owning your own business mean to you? It was super important with teaching so I could have control over my schedule. I had already built up my clientele but I wanted to push myself to do it on my own. Moving to MY SALON Suite was the best decision ever. When my clients first came in, they loved it! I love having the control over booking the clients, carrying what I want to sell for products, and having the control over my schedule, which makes it easy with family life. It’s also given me more pride in my work and given me that push to better myself. I loved my work previously but when you’re on your own, it steps it up to that next level of professionalism. People look at you more as a business owner and you’re set to a higher standard, so you have to take it up to the next level.
- How has joining the Suite Elite impacted your life? I’ve gotten more referrals since moving to MY SALON Suite than ever before. When I was commission-based, we just had more walk ins but not many referrals. My clients refer more to me now and I’ve had more success at MY SALON Suite. I can create my own customer experience and my clients love that. I’m booked a month out solid and evenings and Saturdays are booked out four months.
- What piece of advice would you have for a new members just start outing? Definitely take any opportunities you can to take classes, push yourself to offer more services, and take corporate and franchise owners up on any opportunities they offer including marketing ideas. MY SALON Suite does a really good job of helping us and having that support is awesome and helps us grow our businesses. I would also tell them to always make yourself better than who you were yesterday and have the confidence behind the chair to help your clients.
MY SALON Suite
Salon Ownership For You!