2 Perfect Scripts for Overcoming Common Objections to Rebooking
Traditional consumer loyalty to brands is declining, but that doesn’t mean your Salon Suite can’t win the heart, mind and word of mouth of its clientele.
Make rebooking an organic part of the Salon Suite client experience to create habits that lead to loyalty.
Salon Suite Client Loyalty is Not a Sure Thing
A McKinsey.com report on consumer brand loyalty offers some sobering statistics. Only 13 percent of consumers are brand “loyalists” who won’t consider other options. That leaves 87 percent who are either somewhat or very open to switching brands based on any number of factors – from convenience to customer care, rewards or perceived value. In fact, the McKinsey study found that – when presented with other offers – 58 percent of consumers became “switchers” and 29 percent were considered “vulnerable repurchasers,” meaning they were open to other offers and willing to switch had the right one come along.
In the beauty market, the numbers are a little better. Assuming that Salon Suites fall into the personal care-retail category, they can expect that about 31 percent of their clients are “loyalists.” Unfortunately, this still leaves 69 percent who are either vulnerable to other offers or who are likely to switch after shopping around. However, when it comes to cosmetics, consumer purchases are 96 percent shopping-based and only 4 percent brand-loyal.
Rebooking is one of the first ways to create client loyalty habits. By booking the next, and the next and the next appointments out over time, your clients will come to expect to rebook at each visit. Many would even be willing to book 6 – 9 or even 12 months out into the future in order to guarantee their appointment time and day, especially when accompanied by some type of loyalty reward, such as a discount on retail products purchased, or a small value free add-on, such as a brow wax or conditioning treatment.
2 Scripts for Overcoming Common Client Rebooking Objections
Rebooking Objection #1: I don’t have my calendar
Your client might not have brought their calendar, but chances are they brought their cell phone or they at least know their email address.
Script: “Oh, that’s ok. Let’s go ahead and get your appointment rebooked and I’ll text you the time and date (or email it to you) so that you can confirm when you get home (or back to the office, etc.) because I would hate for you to lose your time slot.”
Not only have you neutralized the objection, you have also provided motivation in the form of a potentially negative consequence (losing your time slot). In addition, this is an organic way for you to capture the mobile number and email address of your client to build your marketing contact lists.
Rebooking Objection #2: I don’t know what I’m doing that far out (or) my schedule might be changing
As with the “I don’t have my calendar” objection this can be easily overcome with a “tentative” rebooking where the client knows they have the option to confirm later and/or request a different appointment time.
Script: “Let’s do this (collaboration). I don’t want you to lose your time slot because I’m usually booked out ## weeks in advance, so let’s go ahead and set it up now. I’ll send you a text (and/or email) reminder so that you can confirm the time or request a different appointment time in a week or two when your schedule firms up.”
Once again you’re getting tacit agreement to the next appointment and establishing the day/time of the appointment as something that “belongs” to that client but could be lost. By communicating how far out you are normally booked, you’re also letting the client know that they’re important to you as a client while also communicating that your services are in high demand.
You’re also setting the expectation that you’ll be communicating with them via text message and email. By extension, as you have special offers they might be interested in, they won’t think it’s intrusive that you contacted them by text or email with a promotion.
Establishing the expectation and habit of rebooking may be the only hurdle you need to overcome to keep clients from shopping around before booking an appointment with your Salon Suite. use these scripts to help overcome the common objections clients raise when you ask them to rebook at the end of an appointment to move them from “no” to “yes.”