1. Have the Correct Lighting! Try using natural light such as a large window and sunlight. (Note: Do NOT take the picture facing the window because that will create shadows.) Another option is to purchase a Ring Light which retails for about $89-$100. This is a great investment and can be easily stored in your Salon Suite. You can purchase a Ring Light Kit on Amazon.
2. Find a Neutral Backdrop. You can use the wall in your Salon Suite or even the hallway. Some Suite Members purchased a photo backdrop to take their photos in front of. Photo backdrops can also be purchased on Amazon as a great option!
3. Create the Correct Angle. If you are taking your photos in your salon suite, don’t just take the photo anywhere. Make sure there is no clutter in the background and no other clients in the frame. Make sure to frame the shot so that the focus is on the hair or nails or whatever you are showcasing!
4. Keep the camera balanced and focused. Many phones today have the “Portrait Feature” which is an excellent tool to create an amazing photo. If your phone does not have that, every smartphone has the “focus feature” that you can just tap before snapping the photo. It’s that simple!
5. Make the Hair POP! Ask clients to tilt head back slightly to make hair look longer. You can also have clients pose with their hands in their hair to make it stand out and look full!
6. Put Your Mark on it! Watermark your images so your salon logo is in it Take credit for your work!